Paradise Palms

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Life, Death and Passing Moments

Last week I received a call from Diana telling me that mom wasn't doing well. And then another call that the family was gathering and that Diana didn't think mom would make it until I got there the next day.It was a very hard time for me. I have had a hard time with the timing of this move. I have been there for my mom for 50 years. I have always been by her side. And for me not to be there when she passed away? Very hard tounderstand. Hours later another call. Mom was actually improving. They were able to get her in a position that let the oxygen into her lungs. I was grateful. But I was still going out to Utah in the morning.

Lisa and I spent all our time taking care of mom. Death seemed so close, yet it seemed to pass by her. And then she actually began to improve. We watched her every move. Her every bite of food, her color, her responses. It seemed that our constant care and the droves of family members coming to say their goodbyes actually made her live. I saw every grandchild, every child come. For me it was a joy to have the reunion.

And then sadness came. Not mom's funeral, but a dear 11 day old child's death. Karen and Calvin lost their baby Annie Marie. And the heartbreak of my brother David was almost unbearable to see. They felt she was going to stay here on earth. They felt miracles. And then she was gone. The came to love her, and know her in a short time.
All of my children except Sara were in attendance. The are so dear to support me and the family. Many other cousins were there to comfort and support Karen.
I felt great empathy having experienced many similar losses and emotions.

Saturday my mom was actually doing a bit of dancing with me. Tapping her hands and swinging her shoulders to some old tunes I had put on the stereo. PRICELESS!! a treasure I will never forget. She told me to stand up and keep dancing. That I was a good visual aid!

And to add to the blessings of the weekend James and Britt flew out to join us.
I felt so complete having them come. James is the dearest man I have ever known. Selfless, giving and a joy in my life!

Monday was Labor Day. The Payson Onion Day's celebration and my parents 60th anniversary celebration. Although the actual anniversary is September 9th and it was September 6th.

I went to the parade with my children. Lisa and Diana stayed with mom. But after about half the time had passed I received a call. Lisa said mom decided she wanted to go to the parade. So they loaded up two oxygen tanks and put her in her walker with it's little seat and pushed her to main street for the parade. She loved every minute.

After the parade was the gathering. So many family members. Each of us realizing this was our last Onion Day's BBQ with momma. And possibly even my dad. Mom was sitting outside plugged into her Oxygen of course and
looking like heaven. When everyone was leaving I asked mom if she wanted to go inside now? She said I don't believe so. It's a lovely day she commented. So Brother's David and Kent promised to get her in later. If she has few days left. Today was a day of treasured moments.


Pictures:
1. Fran and Britt at the Parade
2. Anthony, james, joshua
Aaron's Brittany, Aaron, Britt and Annie at the Parade
3. Annie, Fran, Alana, Chris, Aaron and Joshua at
Annie Marie's funeral
4. Me and my sisters being having a laugh after a long week.
5. James and Fran at the Parade

No comments:

Post a Comment